Apple pie is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed by generations, and there’s nothing quite like the warm, comforting aroma of a freshly baked pie filling the kitchen. Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a dinner party, craving a sweet treat for a special occasion, or simply want to enjoy a delicious dessert with your family, a homemade apple pie is always a fantastic choice. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to create the perfect apple pie from scratch.
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- 6-8 tablespoons ice-cold water
For the Apple Filling:
- 6-7 medium-sized, tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Braeburn)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for dotting)
- Prepare the Pie Crust: a. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. b. Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour until you have a mixture resembling coarse crumbs. c. Slowly add the ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough just comes together. Be careful not to overmix. d. Divide the dough into two equal portions, shape them into discs, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Apple Filling: a. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. b. In a large mixing bowl, combine the apple slices, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and flour. Toss to coat the apples evenly.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll Out the Pie Crust: a. Take one of the chilled pie crust discs and roll it out on a floured surface into a circle, about 12 inches in diameter. b. Carefully transfer the rolled-out crust to a 9-inch pie dish, gently pressing it into the bottom and sides.
- Assemble the Pie: a. Add the prepared apple filling to the pie crust, spreading it evenly. b. Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of butter. c. Roll out the second pie crust disc and place it over the filling. d. Trim any excess dough from the edges and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Bake the Pie: a. Cut a few slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape. b. Optional: Brush the top crust with a bit of milk and sprinkle with sugar for a golden finish. c. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the pie to cool for a while before slicing, as this will help the filling set. You can serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra treat.
Homemade apple pie is a timeless favorite that’s perfect for any occasion. With a little patience and love, you can create a delicious, flaky crust and a sweet, spiced apple filling that will leave everyone coming back for seconds. So, the next time you’re in the mood for a delightful dessert, try your hand at baking a homemade apple pie, and savor the taste of a classic treat that never goes out of style. Enjoy!