Deep-dish pizza, with its thick, buttery crust, layers of cheese, and luscious tomato sauce, is a true comfort food that hails from the vibrant city of Chicago. This iconic pizza style is known for its satisfying, hearty nature, and making it at home can be a rewarding culinary adventure. In this blog post, we’ll take you through the steps of creating a delicious deep-dish pizza from scratch.
For the Pizza Dough:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pizza Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound Italian sausage, crumbled and cooked (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for greasing the pan
- Prepare the Dough:a. In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Allow it to sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy. b. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt. c. Pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir until the dough comes together. d. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it’s smooth and elastic, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Let the Dough Rise:a. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Prepare the Filling:a. In a small bowl, mix the crushed tomatoes with dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Set it aside. b. If using Italian sausage, cook it in a skillet until browned, then drain the excess fat.
- Assemble the Pizza:a. Preheat your oven to 475°F (245°C). b. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a deep-dish pizza pan with olive oil. c. Press the risen dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. d. Layer the shredded mozzarella cheese over the dough. e. Add the cooked sausage (if using) and the grated Parmesan cheese. f. Pour the seasoned crushed tomato mixture over the top.
- Bake the Pizza:a. Place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling and slightly browned.
- Serve and Enjoy:a. Remove the deep-dish pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing. b. Serve your homemade deep-dish pizza hot and enjoy the cheesy, savory goodness.
Homemade deep-dish pizza is a delightful indulgence that can be tailored to your preferences, whether you’re a fan of classic cheese, meat-lover’s, or veggie-loaded toppings. By following this recipe, you can create a thick, flavorful pizza that captures the essence of Chicago’s culinary legacy. So, the next time you’re in the mood for a hearty and satisfying meal, roll up your sleeves, and make your very own deep-dish pizza at home. It’s a delicious, comforting treat that’s perfect for sharing with friends and family. Enjoy!