Sometimes, the most comforting meals come in the simplest forms. Drop biscuits and sausage gravy is a classic dish that satisfies both your taste buds and your soul. Whether you’re in the mood for a hearty breakfast or a cozy dinner, this recipe is sure to hit the spot. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to create a delicious plate of drop biscuits and creamy sausage gravy that will transport you to a warm and comforting place.
For the Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice)
For the Sausage Gravy:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (mild or hot, depending on your preference)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Making the Drop Biscuits:
- Preheat your oven: Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cold butter: Add the cubed cold butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in the buttermilk: Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Form the biscuits: Use a spoon to drop portions of the biscuit dough onto the prepared baking sheet. You should have about 12 biscuits.
- Bake: Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Making the Sausage Gravy:
- Cook the sausage: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the breakfast sausage until it’s browned and crumbled. Break it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add flour: Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage and stir well. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, allowing the flour to absorb the sausage fat.
- Pour in the milk: Gradually pour in the milk while stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Simmer and season: Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring frequently, until it thickens to your desired consistency. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve and Enjoy:Slice the drop biscuits in half, and ladle the creamy sausage gravy over the top. This dish is best enjoyed piping hot.
Drop biscuits and sausage gravy is a beloved comfort food that has the power to make you feel right at home. It’s a simple yet incredibly satisfying dish that’s perfect for any time of day. By following this recipe, you can whip up a plate of warm, flaky biscuits smothered in a creamy, savory sausage gravy that will warm your heart and make your taste buds sing. Whether you’re making it for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, this classic dish is sure to become a favorite in your home. Enjoy the hearty comfort of homemade drop biscuits and sausage gravy!